Don't Blink

A Bookish Blog

Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Wings of the Nightengales Trilogy by Sarah Sundin

This week I finished an AMAZING trilogy set during WW2 about a group of flight nurses. I love anything World War Two and this series was right up my alley for sure.



Lt. Mellie Blake is looking forward to beginning her training as a flight nurse. She is not looking forward to writing a letter to a man she's never met--even if it is anonymous and part of a morale-building program. Lt. Tom MacGilliver, an officer stationed in North Africa, welcomes the idea of an anonymous correspondence--he's been trying to escape his infamous name for years.

As their letters crisscross the Atlantic, Tom and Mellie develop a unique friendship despite not knowing the other's true identity. When both are transferred to Algeria, the two are poised to meet face-to-face for the first time. Will they overcome their fears and reveal who they are, or will their future be held hostage by their pasts?


My Review: 
With Every Letter is the first book and story was it was my favorite. I loved the character Mellie and watching her grow in the Lord and how to be and have friends. I loved the little twists and cool details that Sarah wove in. So much fun! The letter writing aspect was very cool as well. 



Lt. Georgiana Taylor has everything she could want. A comfortable boyfriend back home, a loving family, and a challenging job as a flight nurse. But in July 1943, Georgie’s cozy life gets decidedly more complicated when she meets pharmacist Sgt. John Hutchinson.

Hutch resents the lack of respect he gets as a noncommissioned serviceman and hates how the war keeps him from his fiancĂ©e. While Georgie and Hutch share a love of the starry night skies over Sicily, their lives back home are falling apart. Can they weather the hurt and betrayal? Or will the pressures of war destroy the fragile connection they’ve made?


My Review:
I loved this book even though it had a twist I didn't like at all! The twist had to happen for the storyline but it made me sad. Even so this story was excellent and will still be a favorite. Georgie is one of my favorite characters ever. I love her personality and her loyalty. She's so much fun! There's also an adorable little girl in the story named Lucia that will absolutely steal your heart. And we can't forget Hutch. What a great male lead. All in all, fantastic story!!

 

Flight nurse Lt. Kay Jobson collects hearts wherever she flies, but C-47 pilot Lt. Roger Cooper is immune to her charms. Throughout Italy and southern France, as she evacuates the wounded and he delivers paratroopers and supplies, every beat of their hearts draws them where they don't want to go.

My Review:
This is a great finale to the Wings of the Nightengales series. I loved learning about Kay and finally understanding what had happened to her in her past. Roger was a fun character to get to know and I loved watching them find their way. The story had some very exciting points and kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. I do wish we'd had a little more story to what happened to Vera and Alice but other than that this story was pretty much perfect.

Sarah Sundin writes awesome WW2 fiction and I highly recommend both of her trilogies and can't wait for the next one that starts next year. Sarah, please write quicker!!! :)  

1 comment:

  1. Melissa - thank you for three (!) wonderful reviews! I'm so glad you enjoyed the nightingales and their stories.

    ReplyDelete