Don't Blink

A Bookish Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Pink Bonnet


A Desperate Mother Searches for Her Child
Step into True Colors -- a new series of Historical Stories of Romance and American Crime

Widowed in Memphis during 1932, Cecile Dowd is struggling to provide for her three-year-old daughter. Unwittingly trusting a neighbor puts little Millie Mae into the clutches of Georgia Tann, corrupt Memphis Tennessee Children’s Home Society director suspected of the disappearance of hundreds of children. With the help of a sympathetic lawyer, the search for Millie uncovers a deep level of corruption that threatens their very lives.
 
How far will a mother go to find out what happened to her child?

My Rating: 3 Stars

This was a brutal read! Speaking as a Mama, reading this book and picturing my daughter in this situation was heartbreaking. Especially since my daughter has special needs, and I can only imagine how that evil woman would have reacted to that! Knowing that this was based on ACTUAL events: WOWZA! Liz did a good job at constructing a compelling story and it flows well with lots of twists and turns. It's the subject matter itself that lowers my rating. This isn't a book I will likely reread because it truly makes my heart hurt.

I received this book from NetGalley and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment